News and Awards
- Vier, D. C., Schultz, S., Greegor, R. B., Parazzoli, C. G., Nielsen, J. A., Tanielian, M. H., "Three-Dimensional Double-Negative Metamaterials Resonating at 13.5 GHz," IET Microw. Antennas Propag. 3 (5), 723-727 (2009).
- Greegor, Robert B., Parazzoli, Claudio G., Nielsen, Jean A., Tanielian, Minas H., Vier, David C., Schultz, Shelly, Holloway, Chris L., Ziolkowski, Richard W., "Demonstration of Impedance Matching Using a mu-Negative (MNG) Metamaterial," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 8, 92-95 (2009).
- Erentok, Aycan, Ziolkowski, Richard W., Nielsen, J. A., Greegor, R. B., Parazzoli, C. G., Tanielian, M. H., Cummer, Steven A., Popa, Bogdan-Ioan, Hand, Thomas, Vier, D. C., Schultz, S., "Lumped Element-based, Highly Sub-wavelength, Negative Index Metamaterials at UHF Frequencies", J. Appl. Phys. 104 (3), 034901 (2008).
- Erentok, Aycan, Ziolkowski, Richard W., Nielsen, J. A., Greegor, R. B., Parazzoli, C. G., Tanielian, M. H., Cummer, Steven A., Popa, Bogdan-Ioan, Hand, Thomas, Vier, D. C., Schultz, S., "Low Frequency Lumped Element-Based Negative Index Metamaterial", Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 184104 (2007).
- Greegor, R. B., Parazzoli, C. G., Nielsen, J. A., Thompson, M. A., Tanielian, M. H., Vier, D. C., Schultz, S., Smith, D. R., Schurig, D., "Microwave focusing and beam collimation using negative index of refraction lenses", IET Microw. Antennas Propag. 1, 108 (2007).
The Schultz research group at UCSD is actively involved in the development and implementation of their newly discovered "Left Handed Meta Materials" (see Publications of the year 2000 and Patent 2 ) with entirely new electro-magnetic properties, including the experimental demonstration of a negative index of refraction material (see Publication 7). Other interests include: Photonic Band Gap (PBG) structures (with controlled defects as cavities for high gradient Linear Accelerators), Plasmon resonant nano-particles (PRPs) as optical transducers for biochemical and clinical medical applications (see Patent 1); PRP based Kerr Scanning Near-field Optical Microscopy; sub-micron magnetic particles; Advanced Instrumentation; and microwave spectroscopy (CESR, TESR, dilute-local moments, spin glasses, and superconductors.
UC San Diego 9500 Gilman Dr. La Jolla, CA 92093 (858) 534-2230
Copyright ©2017 Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.