News and Awards
- UC San Diego astrophysicists contribute to major planet discovery
- UC San Diego hosts 2016 SoCal Physics Graduate Admissions Bootcamp
- Astronomers Discover Three Potentially Habitable Earth-Sized Worlds Around A Dim Star 40 Light-years Away
- Adam Burgasser: 2015/16 Distinguished Teaching Award for Academic Senate Members
- Professor Adam Burgasser receives Faculty Mentor Program Outstanding Mentor Award for 2014
- "ULAS J141623.94+134836.3: a Blue T Dwarf Companion to a Blue L Dwarf" 2010, Astrophys. J., submitted Burgasser, AJ, Looper, DL & Rayner, JT [astro-ph].
- "Discoveries from a Near-infrared Proper Motion Survey using Multi-epoch 2MASS Data", 2010, Astrophys. J., submitted Kirkpatrick, JD, Looper, DL, Burgasser, AJ, Schurr, SD, Cutri, RM, Cushing, MC, Cruz, KL, Sweet, AC, Knapp, GR, Barman, TS, Bochanski, JJ, Roellig, TL, McLean, IS, McGovern, MR, & Rice, EL.
- "The Young, Low-Mass Enigmatic Variable TWA 30" 2010, Astrophys. J., in press Looper, DL, Mohanty, S, Bochanski, JJ, Burgasser, AJ, Mamajek, EE, Herczeg, GJ, West, AA, Faherty, JK, Rayner, J, Pitts, MA, & Kirkpatrick, JD.
- "SpeX Spectroscopy of Unresolved Very Low-Mass Binaries. I. Identification of Seventeen Candidate Binaries Straddling the L Dwarf/T Dwarf Transition" 2010, Astrophys. J.,710, 1142-1169 Burgasser, AJ, Cruz, KL, Cushing, MC, Gelino, CR, Looper, DL, Faherty, JK, Kirkpatrick, JD & Reid, IN [ADS].
- "Discovery of An Unusually Blue L Dwarf Within 10 pc of the Sun" 2010, Astron. J., 139, 1045-1050 Schmidt, SJ, West, AA, Burgasser, AJ, Bochanski, JJ, & Hawley, SH [ADS].
My research focuses on the properties of the lowest mass stars and coldest brown dwarfs, particularly L dwarfs and T dwarfs and ultracool halo subdwarfs. I use observational techniques to infer the physical properties of cool stars, examine magnetic activity trends, search for multiples, and measure population statistics. My work incorporates many observational tools, including optical and infrared spectroscopy, high resolution imaging (including traditional and laser guide star adaptive optics), radio astronomy, space-based (HST & Spitzer) imaging, and photometric monitoring.
UC San Diego 9500 Gilman Dr. La Jolla, CA 92093 (858) 534-2230
Copyright ©2017 Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.