Graduate Program Requirements
Thank you for your interest in the graduate program in the Department of Physics at the University of California, San Diego. Please note that the Department will begin processing of applications starting September 30, 2017.
Application Deadline for 2018-19 is: December 19, 2017.
Online Graduate Applications for 2018-19 opens up on September 5, 2017. Please note that the Department will begin processing of applications starting September 30, 2017.
Web Address: https://apply.grad.ucsd.edu/home
In order to process your application we require the following documents uploaded online (Please don't mail or email documents):
- Official transcripts-accept scanned Pdf transcripts only for application review
- Statement of Purpose
- Three letters of reference
- All results of your Graduate Record Examination (GRE); general and advanced physics scores - request ETS to report your scores to the Institute Code 4836
- Application fee: Domestic $105.00, International $125.00
- Electronic Graduate Application 2018-2019
- TOEFL Score Report / the IELTS Score Report (International Applicants Only) - request ETS to report your TOEFL scores to the Institute Code 4836. Official IELTS need to be mailed.
The GRE examinations must be taken no later than October in order for the scores to be considered by the Admissions Committee. Incomplete files and applications received after December 19th will be considered only if space is available.
Entering graduate students are required to have a sound knowledge of undergraduate mechanics, electricity and magnetism, to have had senior courses or their equivalent in atomic and quantum physics, nuclear physics, and thermodynamics; and to have taken upper division laboratory work.
Attention International Applicants: 2018-19.
Foreign students from non-English speaking countries are required to demonstrate proficiency in English via the TOEFL/IELTS exam.
The minimum TOEFL score required is 80 for Internet based (iBT) and the minimum TOEFL Speaking score required is 23. The minimum International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score required is Band Score 7 and the minimum IELTS Speaking score required is 7. The Test for Spoken English (TSE) is highly recommended.
International Students whose native language is not English will be required to demonstrate English language proficiency before they may serve as teaching assistants.
Revised for 2018-19 admissions